About Veterinary Specialty Hospital: At VSH our mission is to advance the veterinary profession through our leadership in medicine, education, business and promotion of the human-animal bond. We strive to bring together caring, warm and intelligent people who love to serve and help and are among the best in their field.
The Veterinary Social Worker (VSW) provides multifaceted emotional support to clients and employees, consultation regarding clients to veterinary staff, support services, short term interventions, and educational programs for all employees of the hospital. The Veterinary Social Worker will work in concert with medical staff, client care staff, the Learning and Development department, People and Organization department and hospital leadership to foster an environment of mindful compassion and support within the hospital.
- Provide informal debriefing services to staff members, individually, or in groups.
- In conjunction with the People & Organization department, provide other short-term interventions such as mediation of conflict, assessment, and referral for outside and/or EAP counseling.
- Consult with the People and Organization department, Hospital Leadership Teams and Regional Team regarding wellness of staff to enhance hospital functioning.
- Develop and present topics of Veterinary Social Work expertise such as compassion fatigue, stress management, work/life balance, communication skills, grief, and pet loss.
- Develop and provide resources for staff regarding wellness accessibility on website, email, and/or newsletter
- Provide support and counseling to clients as needed, or by request from doctors or staff.
- Provide pet loss counseling to clients by phone and in person.
- Establish and maintain consistent documentation of client and staff intervention, while maintaining confidentiality.
- Facilitate (organize, implement, maintain, and promote) a pet loss support group.
- Assist clients in end-of-life decision making in collaboration with staff and doctors.
- Provide consultation to doctors and staff regarding the Veterinary Social Worker's assessment of clients to facilitate treatment and effective communication.
- Develop brochures and resources for clients regarding medical treatment, pet loss, and the grief process, euthanasia, memorialization of pets, veterinary social work services, and the human-animal bond.
- Enrich and enhance the hospital environment to provide the most peaceful and meaningful euthanasia process possible.
- Develop website materials for clients discussing cancer treatment, pet loss, and other resources such as the Quality of Life Scale, memorialization information, stories, etc.
- Develop a Veterinary Social Worker Internship program in collaboration with local colleges and universities.
Education, License and Job Requirements:
- Masters degree in social work
Skills and Experience:
- 4 years of experience - preferably in a medical, hospice, or mental health setting.
- Experience with grief/bereavement counseling is required
- Experience with trauma and PTSD counseling experience is required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Must be able work independently.
- Must be able to provide services needed by clients and staff in an emotionally intense, fast paced setting.
- Must be able to patiently mentor social work interns while also being able to delegate tasks and teach skills.
Benefits of Working at VSH:
Compensation is based on experience and skill level. Full-time benefits include health, dental, vision, disability and life insurances, flex-spending accounts, 401(k), Employee Assistance Program, paid time off, uniforms, and a generous CE allowance.
Powered by JazzHR