There is a new opportunity to work with students as a University in Teesside is looking for a Mental Health Practitioner to join their team to help provide support to the students. The candidate will be willing to provide face to face support on campus.
The purpose of the role is to deliver and promote mental well-being for students. An experience in clinical assessment is essential, along with organisational skills to manage caseloads of students' information. If you have an absolute passion for helping individuals reach their potential then this could be perfect for you. This role is based on the university campus as the main focus will be crisis response.
- Responding to general queries about the service and support available at the University.
- Responding to students in distress/ criss, assessing risk and recommending the appropriate intervention.
- Working on a one-to-one basis with students helping develop strategies to manage their mental health including mood and anxiety management.
- Working on a one-to-one basis creating safety plans
- Completing referrals to appropriate services eg. GPs, secondary services, specialist charities.
- Take responsibility for clinical decisions in individual high-risk or complex cases.
- Work in partnership with members of the Disability Service and Counselling Teams to manage students with complex mental health conditions.
- Provide mental health appointments for students to support them to manage their mental health condition.
- Liaise with key stakeholders and appropriately refer students to external mental health services and liaise with such services where appropriate.
- Encourage and support students with mental health problems to access and engage with appropriate mental health / therapeutic services.
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Act as a point of contact for staff faced with issues or crises concerning students' mental health.
- Adhere to the University's Health and Safety Policy and guidelines.
- A relevant professional qualification such as Registered Mental Health Nurse/ Community Psychiatric Nurse/ Social Advisor/ Occupations Therapist/ Probation Officer and/or substantial experience of providing mental health advice and assessment to vulnerable adults.
- Registration and professional standing with an appropriate professional body relevant to the area of mental health (Desirable).
- Work experience in a demanding environment e.g. NHS, Social Work or voluntary sector with clients with moderate to severe mental health difficulties.
- Offering criss mangement and suicide preventions / intervention.
- Analysis, interpretation and reporting on data.
- Drawing on professional / specialist knowledge to solve presenting problems.
If you thrive in challenging environments while making a positive impact while guiding students who are struggling and guide them to maintain a healthy balance for all their stresses, while also gaining experience in the education sector as well as working on your own time scale then this position is for you.
If you would like more information around the position then please don't hesitate to contact Emma Davies on or
Randstad SWS acts as an employment business when supplying temporary staff and as an employment agency when introducing candidates for permanent employment with a client. Randstad SWS is an equal opportunities employer and decisions are made on merits alone.