Union: ONA Nursing
Location: Freeport Campus
Work Type: Temporary
Contract End Date: May 27, 2023
Shift: 11.25 Hour Shifts Days/Nights
Offering person-centred care, guided by recovery principles, the Registered Nurse promotes healing and instills hope while demonstrating the values of the Mental Health and Addictions Program. Specialized Mental Health is a 50-bed inpatient program offering exciting opportunities to registered nurses interested in starting or developing a career in Mental Health. Full paid orientation is provided & educational support is available. The Registered Nurse provides psychiatric and mental health nursing care working within an interdisciplinary team with individuals experiencing psychiatric and mental health issues. The patient population includes those with a severe and persistent mental illness and those who are experiencing a psychosocial crisis. Nursing care is provided in accordance with the Canadian Standards of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing (CNA). Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Current registration with College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
- 3+ years' experience in Mental Health & Addictions Nursing
- Certification (CNA), Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing preferred, or willingness to obtain certification.
- Post diploma preparation, relevant to Psychiatric and Mental Health nursing preferred.
- Advanced de-escalation, Code White training preferred (training will be provided)
- Basic Rescuer, CPR
- Working knowledge of psychiatric and mental health disorders and related psychiatric/ psychosocial interventions and treatment models
- An understanding of the philosophy and principles of Recovery
- Working knowledge of current best practices related to treatment of Severely Mentally Ill persons.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in administration and/or monitoring of psychotropic medications
- Excellent interviewing skills (individual/group)
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills strong skills in biopsychosocial assessments, care planning, crisis plans, psychiatric nursing interventions and complete outcome evaluation for individual care.Demonstrated ability to provide in depth mental health assessments, risk assessments, mental status examinations, and development of crisis, and discharge plans
Working knowledge of the Mental Health Act and Community Treatment Order Legislation, Privacy Act, Health Care Consent Act, and other relevant legislation.
- Knowledge of Community Resources preferred
- Strong consultation skills with Physicians, Community therapists, Support workers and families.
- Ability to work independently with consultation from multidisciplinary team members
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to engage in conflict resolution
- Excellent critical thinking, organizational and problem solving skills
- Good attendance record
- Orientation and Training will be provided to successful candidates
As part of our commitment to the health and safety of our patients, staff and community from COVID-19, subject to any accommodation required by applicable human rights legislation, Grand River Hospital requires that all staff have received all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE RECEIVED UNTIL THE POSTING IS CLOSED.
Please include a resume with your application in order to ensure that your qualifications are appropriately considered in the hiring process.
Grand River Hospital is committed to fair and equitable employment and in our recruitment and selection practices. We strongly believe in inclusion and diversity within our organization, and welcome all applicants including, but not limited to: racialized communities, all religions and ethnicities, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, Indigenous people, and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of our Hospital community. We are committed to providing and fostering a respectful workplace for all employees, free from violence and harassment. Grand River Hospital is a proud member of the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion (CCDI).
Upon individual request, the hospital will endeavour to remove any barrier to the hiring process to accommodate candidates, including those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact Human Resources in advance for assistance.