The Supervisor, Social Work coordinates the daily workflow of the social workers. Also provides psychosocial assessment, crisis intervention, individual, family and group counseling and, when appropriate, bereavement services. Participates as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in helping to facilitate timely and appropriate discharge planning and in supporting high quality, cost effective, patient focused care. Shares responsibility for coordinating care across the continuum and for helping to facilitate appropriate patient transfers to skilled nursing homes, acute rehabilitation facilities, personal care boarding homes and other post discharge care facilities based on the known or anticipated medical needs of the patient and the preference of the patient and family.
- Provides psychosocial expertise to the healthcare team. Identifies high-risk patients and families and provides clinical services to individuals, families and groups related to psychosocial issues.
- Supports the Manager or Director in coordinating services in collaboration with care management practice within the facility.
- Remain abreast of changes and advances in the field of Social Work, legislation related to current practice, insurance coverage issues as well as current knowledge of community programs and services and effectively communicates these changes to staff and administration.
- Ensures consistent, quality social work services throughout the hospital coordinating appropriate staffing and scheduling to provide appropriate levels of service required to meet the needs of patients, families and staff.
- Provides social work expertise/consultation to hospital staff, community and others requesting such services. Demonstrates the ability to effectively intervene with medically and psychosocially complex patients with the ability to understand complex dynamics related to the clinical situation.
- Oversee the social work component of any quality initiatives related to the provision of social work services or social work practice. Handles patient / customer complaints as they relate to social work practice.
- Responsible for following the mandatory reporting procedures for any incident or serious event that did affect or potentially could have affected the clinical care of any patient.
- Maintains and reviews current policies and procedures related to social work. Recommends and develops new policies and procedures as needed in collaboration with manager, director and Corporate Care Management staff.
- Provides input to budgeting activities related to staffing and operations. Accountable for administering special care funds as they relate to social work practice / patient and family need.
- Organizes staff development programs for social workers as well as non-social work staff both within and outside of the organization.
- Fosters positive relationships with community facilities and agencies. Functions as liaison between these agencies and the hospital. Works with Manager or Director to identify and eliminate service gaps.
- Responsible for the performance evaluations and competencies of all social workers in area of responsibility. Coaches and mentors staff, enforces performance standards, provides disciplinary action and termination as necessary in collaboration with the Director. Participates in the recruitment, hiring, orientation, training and retention of new social work staff.
- Coordinates social work student activities in collaboration with staff who act as Field Instructors and field liaison faculty from local colleges or universities with Schools of Social Work.
- Provides social work coverage to any clinical area in need documenting interventions in accordance with all hospital or regulatory policies and procedures.
- Coordinates social work services with other disciplines within the organization and represents the discipline of social work on hospital, community or other committees of interest.
- Works collaboratively with staff to provide clinical supervision, develop population specific social work expertise as well as develop programming related to psychosocial issues in clinical areas.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
- Accredited Case Manager OR Certified Case Manager (CCM) OR Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Automotive Insurance
- Driver's License
- Act 33 with renewal
- Act 34 with renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance